Happy July 4th! As we gear up for this holiday, most of us are thinking about two things – food and fireworks! Celebrating our nation’s independence normally takes place around a BBQ grill with a cool drink in hand, and who can forget those picnic sweets? This 4th of July, we urge you to try some recipes that take it easy on the sugar to not only cut calories, but also protect your teeth from the harmful effects of sugary substances. Sugars can erode enamels and cause cavities in children and adults.
Try these great, low-sugar or sugar-free alternative to your favorite 4th of July treats!
- 1 cup water
- 1 (4-serving size) package sugar-free lemon gelatin
- 10 ounces frozen unsweetened strawberries, partly thawed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)
- 6 fresh strawberries, optional, for garnish
- 6 mint leaves, optional, for garnish
Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Put the gelatin and boiling water in a blender, and process for 10 to 15 seconds to dissolve the gelatin. Add the strawberries and process again, just long enough to blend in the berries. Put the blender container in the refrigerator for 10 minutes, or just until the mixture starts to thicken a bit.
Add 3/4 cup of the heavy cream, and process in the blender just long enough to mix it all in, about 10 to 15 seconds. Pour into 5 or 6 pretty little dessert cups and chill in the refrigerator, at least 1 hour.
With an electric mixer or by hand, whip the remaining 1/4 cup of cream with the vanilla and sugar substitute. Top each cup with a dollop if whipped cream. If desired, cut a strawberry into a fan-shape, and place on top with a mint leaf to garnish.
Source: Food Network
Summer Fruit with Wine and Mint
- 1 1/4 cups dry white wine
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 ripe cantaloupe, halved, seeded, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 basket (8-ounce) fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1 cup seedless green grapes, halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
Bring the wine and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Chop and combine the cantaloupe, strawberries, grapes, and mint in a large bowl. Pour the warm wine mixture over; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until cold, stirring occasionally, at least 2 hours.
Transfer to the fruit mixture to a wide jar with a tight-fitting lid. Keep chilled.
Source: Food Network
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 pkg. (6 oz.) or 2 pkg. (3 oz. each) SugarFree JELL-O Berry Blue Flavor Gelatin
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 tub (8 oz.) Sugar Free COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed, divided
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, halved
ADD boiling water to gelatin mix in large bowl; stir 2 min. until completely dissolved. Stir in cold water. Pour into 9 parfait or dessert glasses.
REFRIGERATE 4 hours or until firm.
SPOON 2 cups COOL WHIP over desserts; top with berries and remaining COOL WHIP.
Source: Kraft Foods