If you’ve recently had a cosmetic dentistry procedure done, it’s clear that you care about your smile and the way it looks. Protect your investment by considering these top eight ways to ruin your cosmetic dental procedure, and make sure you aren’t doing any of these things to keep your veneers, implants, crowns and bridges in excellent shape!
1. Chewing Hard Candy or Popcorn. Anything hard can be bad news for veneers and implants, as biting down onto anything hard can chip or crack the surface, causing big problems.
2. Using An Abrasive Toothpaste. Harsh toothpastes can eventually wear down the glaze on veneers and implants to make them look dull.
3. Drinking Sugary Beverages. Just like with natural teeth, veneers and implants can cause cavities to form around veneers and implants. Acidic drinks can also wreak havoc on dental work.
4. Not Brushing and Flossing. Just because you have crowns, veneers or implants doesn’t mean that you don’t still need to brush and floss all of your teeth. These types of cosmetic dentistry procedures don’t mean that you won’t get cavities!
5. Using Alcohol-Based Mouthwash. Alcohol-based mouthwashes can actually degrade the bonding cement used in cosmetic procedures over time, so avoid using these types of mouthwash.
6. Opening Packages With Teeth. Opt for using scissors instead of your teeth to open packages and bags. Porcelain can’t withstand the force it takes for you to rip open a bag without being compromised.
7. Not Wearing a Sports Mouthguard. You should always wear a mouthguard when playing contact sports, especially if you have had a cosmetic dental procedure. This will help you avoid chipped and cracked teeth that can result from contact.
8. Not Wearing a Nightguard. If you’ve been known to grind your teeth at night, get your dentist to mold you a nightguard to wear when you sleep so that you don’t ruin your nice cosmetic procedure while you’re sleeping.
If you have any questions about cosmetic dentistry, please contact a professional at DentaLux today!