Just like choosing a doctor, picking a dentist that you can stick with for many years is an important task. Choosing the right dentist for you will ensure that your oral health will be well looked after, and any problems will be caught early on. A dentist will maintain your dental records, and be able to assess any changes in your teeth, gums or overall oral health over the years. Equally as important, choosing the right dentist for you will make going to the dentist less of a hassle because you’ll be comfortable and familiar with the entire dental team.
So, how do you choose the right dentist for you?
A good way to start is to ask friends and family in your area for dentist recommendations. You can also look for dentists on the Internet that have reviews and ratings from current or past patients. Finding out what others say about a dentist can be a good indicator of how you will feel about the dentist as well. You family doctor or pharmacist may also be able to recommend dentists in your area.
Next, you’ll want to call or visit a few dental offices to see which one is a good fit for you or your family. See what their demeanor is over the phone, ask any necessary questions you may have, or visit the office for an initial consultation.
Because your dentist will be the primary care provider for all of your oral health needs, you need to make sure that you are comfortable with the dentist and the dental office. Be sure that the dentist satisfies most, if not all, of the criteria that you would be looking for in a potential dentist. A few questions that you might want to ask yourself before picking a dentist are:
1. Are the dental office location and hours of operation convenient for me and my family?
2. Are the dentist and dental team up-to-date on the latest procedures and technology?
3. Does the dentist offer all of the services that I need now, or may need in the future?
4. Does the dental office offer emergency care options?
5. Will the dentist accept your insurance? If you do not have insurance, does the dentist have payment plans or other payment options?
6. Is the dental office staff friendly and willing to answer your questions?
7. Are the dental office and dental staff clean, neat and professional?
You may have other questions that you come up with to inquire about before choosing a dentist based on your personal preference. Come up with your complete list of criteria and questions before searching for a dentist so that you can compare options.
If you are located in the Philadelphia area, DentaLux would love to be your family dentist! To find out more about our services, staff, or to make an appointment, contact a DentaLux professional today!