Keeping your teeth clean when one is always on the go can be extremely difficult. Whether it’s weekend parties, sleepovers, hangovers, lack of time or never-ending traveling/commute days , your mouth can easily be neglected. So we decided to share some tips on how to stay on track of your busy schedules and still manage to keep your pearly whites shining and your oral cavity smelling and feeling fresh. Here are 5 simple ways to maintain that beautiful and clean smile.
1. Brush-DO NOT forget to brush. Brushing your teeth and tongue twice a day and in between meals is highly recommended. Almost everyone remembers and is consistent about brushing their teeth at least once a day, usually in the morning. However, brushing at night or in between meals is often forgotten. Salivary flow is decreased during the night and as a result, leaves your mouth without a defense team to fight of bacteria that causes cavities. Therefore, the importance of brushing your teeth at night and leaving your mouth free of bacteria and food debris is extremely important, especially after consuming the countless amounts of acidic foods and beverages that frame our on-the-go lives. Whether you are using a mechanical or an electric toothbrush, the point being is do not forget to brush TWICE a day.
2. Floss-By now you are probably sick of hearing and reading on the importance of FLOSSING. The reality is, it is very important. It is still remains the most effective method of removing plaque in between your teeth. Regardless of the toothbrush used, the duration and frequency spend brushing and/or the type of tooth paste utilized, nothing will achieve cleaning large spaces/gaps, tight contacts, crowns and bridges better than the traditional piece of floss. Thankfully, dental field is becoming more technologically advanced and are improving devices that although do not replace flossing, but aid in the effort of carefully and thoroughly remove food particles and debris in between your teeth. Leaving your mouth and gums feeling fresh and healthy.
3. Healthy Diet- Whether it’s the lack of time to cook, late night munchies or whatever the reason is, eating healthy on -the-go is difficult. A couple of healthy and delicious fruits/vegetables throughout your day will leave your mouth feeling healthy and clean, especially, after almost everything that we eat contain high amounts of acid. Eating hard fruits and vegetables such as apples, peaches, pears and/or carrots after meals will help your mouth indirectly clean and brush of food debris from the surfaces of your teeth. Also, consuming plenty amount of water throughout the entire day, also assists in cleansing your mouth. There is never such a thing as too much water !!!
4. Mouth Rinse- So you finished your meal on the go…. you don’t have floss, you don’t carry a toothbrush and other then cream- brulee there are no fresh fruits on the desert menu to order…Rinsing your mouth out with water ( tap or bottle) can tremendously reduce the amount of your left over meal being left behind in your mouth. By thoroughly rinsing with water, you are helping eliminate potential cavities and most importantly bad odor. Purchasing a travel size bottle of mouthwash is highly recommended.
5. Sugar Free Gum- Invest in a pack of sugar free gum, it can and will take you a long way. From eliminating bad odor, to helping you clean in between your teeth and finally stimulating enough salivary flow to help your mouth defend teeth from cavities and decay. Just remember, it has to be sugar free
I hope these 5 simple tips will take you guys a long way and will make more aware of the importance of keeping your mouth and teeth healthy, otherwise we will see you frequently Suggestions, comments and questions are always welcomed.